Overalls, also known as dungarees or bib-and-brace overalls, are a classic clothing item that has been around for over a century. Originally worn as a work garment, overalls have evolved over time to become a popular fashion item that is worn by people of all ages, genders, and styles.
History of Overalls Overalls were first introduced in the late 19th century as a practical garment for workers. They were designed to provide protection and comfort for workers who needed to move around freely without worrying about their clothing getting in the way. Overalls were typically made from heavy-duty denim or canvas, and they featured straps that went over the shoulders and a bib that covered the chest.
Over time, overalls became associated with certain professions such as farmers, mechanics, and railroad workers. They were also worn by women who worked in factories during World War II. As the years went by, overalls evolved from being a work garment to a popular fashion item.
Fashionable Overalls Today, overalls are worn by people of all ages, genders, and styles. They come in a variety of colors, fabrics, and styles, ranging from classic denim to trendy corduroy. Overalls can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion.
One popular way to wear overalls is with a simple t-shirt or blouse underneath. This creates a casual, comfortable look that is perfect for running errands or hanging out with friends. For a dressier look, overalls can be paired with a blouse or sweater and a pair of heels or ankle boots.
Overalls are also a great choice for festivals and concerts. They provide a comfortable and stylish outfit that allows for freedom of movement. Many festival-goers choose to wear overalls with a cropped top or bralette for a more daring look.
In recent years, overalls have even made appearances on the red carpet. Celebrities such as Emma Stone, Selena Gomez, and Taylor Swift have all been spotted wearing overalls on the red carpet, proving that this classic garment can be dressed up and worn in a variety of ways.
Shopping for Overalls If you’re looking to add a pair of overalls to your wardrobe, there are plenty of options for shopping. Here are a few places to start:
- Levi’s: Levi’s is known for its classic denim overalls, and they have a variety of styles to choose from. You can find classic straight-leg overalls or more trendy cropped styles.
- Urban Outfitters: Urban Outfitters has a great selection of overalls in different fabrics and styles. You can find corduroy overalls, printed overalls, and even velvet overalls.
- ASOS: ASOS has a wide range of overalls to choose from, including denim, corduroy, and printed styles. They also offer a range of sizes and styles, including plus sizes and tall sizes.
- Madewell: Madewell offers a range of overalls in different fabrics and styles, including classic denim and more trendy cropped styles. They also offer a range of sizes, including petite and tall sizes.
- Free People: Free People has a great selection of overalls in different fabrics and styles, including classic denim and more bohemian-inspired styles. They also offer a range of sizes, including plus sizes.
In conclusion, overalls are a fashion staple that never goes out of style. From their humble beginnings as a work garment to their status as a fashion icon, overalls have proven that they are a versatile and timeless piece of clothing. Whether you prefer classic denim or trendy prints, there are plenty of options when it comes to shopping for overalls. With a variety of styles, fabrics, and sizes available, it’s easy to find a pair that fits your personal style and body type. Overalls are a fun and comfortable way to add some variety to your wardrobe, and they can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. So why not give overalls a try and see how they can elevate your fashion game?